A3000 and booting from scsi HD
s***@gmail.com
2014-07-07 04:51:25 UTC
I have (somewhat painfully) established the following...

The WB_2.X partition must be formatted as FFS, no international support, no cache support.
The device must be named exactly WB_2.X.
The filesystem in the RDB must be useable under 1.3, version 40.1 of the FastFileSystem library works, version 45.x, etc, does not. Or the file system in the RDB may be empty.
My last discovery, the block size must be 512 bytes. OS 3.9 defaulted to a 1024 byte block, that does not work.
Lastly, a file named kickstart must exist in WB_2.X:Devs/KickStart.
The kickstart must be an Amiga 3000 version and must have the "bonus" code appended at the end so the file size will be slightly larger than 512K.
No other files are need for the rom soft kick to occur.

The same rules apply to the WB_1.3 partition, except that the kickstart file size will be slightly large than 256K.

When you boot the kickstart from the hard drive if you load the WB_2.X partition, the 1.3 partition will not be visible, and if you load 1.3, the 2.X partition will not be visible.
The WB_2.X kickstart can be any version higher the 36.X, so it can be a 3.1 rom, version 40.068, etc if you wish. I know because I own the roms but since I do not have an accelerator, I prefer to soft load them for now, and it works. If I ever do get an accelerator though, there is an A3000 specific program called softboot that does what the 1.4 softboot rom does, but supposedly works with accelerator boards.

Boy was that a LOT of typing, but I hope it helps another Amiga 3000 owner.
s***@gmail.com
2014-07-07 04:54:22 UTC
Oh yes, to boot 1.3, you must hold down both mouse buttons at power on to bring up the boot selection screen. This does not work if you reboot using CTRL-A-A, only if you power off back on.