A1200 PCMCIA freeze and Ethernet
Jon Guidry
2004-08-14 15:57:11 UTC
I've searched GG and have found quite a few other postings about this,
but no definitate answer on how to fix it.

Up to the current time, I've used a CNet CN40BC card, but the dongle
is broken. I cannot locate a new CN40BC (or used - I've been checking
e-bay).

So, I checked inside of the cnetdevice.readme and he said:

---------------------------------
I have successfully used these cards:

- NetGear FA410TX (10/100baseT)
---------------------------------

So, I bought a NetGear FA410TX (exact model.) However, when inserted,
the A1200 will not boot. (FYI: The FA410TX works fine in my laptop.)
Also, when I try to insert it *AFTER* the computer has been booted,
the computer freezes. (I also tried a Linksys PCMPC100 - which the
author says freezes the system, and it *does*.)

The CN40BC never locked the system up, whether I insert it before or
afterwards.

I tried the NetGear in both of my Amiga's (a circa 1993 C= and an AT
one that I bought in 2000), and it freezes both systems when inserted.

Does anyone have any definite recommendations on how to fix this? I
understand there's the CC_RESET mod, but that's for cards you have to
plug in *after* boot, right - not ones that freeze the system.

If anyone has another sure-fire recommendation of a cheap card
somewhere that I can buy and insert (and work with cnet.device), I'd
really appreciate it.... or if someone has a CN40BC with working
dongle. :-)

Please reply back via group in case anyone else is having this issue
so they might fix their issue as well.

Thanks!
Graham
2004-08-15 02:34:24 UTC
Post by Jon Guidry
[...]
I bought one on Ebay from someone selling it as an AMIGA Ethernet
card, even though it's a generic 3Com card. The model is 3CCE589ET.
It's only 10thingy not 10/100thingy, but it's fast enough to keep up
with my fairly mediocre ADSL connection.
Jon Guidry
2004-08-21 03:50:02 UTC
Post by Graham
I bought one on Ebay from someone selling it as an AMIGA Ethernet
card, even though it's a generic 3Com card. The model is 3CCE589ET.
It's only 10thingy not 10/100thingy, but it's fast enough to keep up
with my fairly mediocre ADSL connection.
I got a couple 3CCE589ET's off of e-bay and they work flawlessly.
They even came with 6' dongle-cords.

Thanks, Graham! I downloaded the 3COM driver off of Aminet and they
work great!

Time to retire the old CNet CN40BC.. :-)
Dan Miner
2004-08-22 16:48:01 UTC
I had the same thing. My trouble is my accelerator card puts its 8MB of RAM
right where PCMCIA wants to map itself. Thus, instant lockup (inserting
the card will freeze it too). Setting my memory to 4MB has somewhat fixed
the issue. In the end, I'll probably need to a new accelerator board. :(

Regards,
Dan
Jon Guidry
2004-08-23 04:49:53 UTC
Post by Dan Miner
I had the same thing. My trouble is my accelerator card puts its 8MB of RAM
right where PCMCIA wants to map itself. Thus, instant lockup (inserting
the card will freeze it too). Setting my memory to 4MB has somewhat fixed
the issue. In the end, I'll probably need to a new accelerator board. :(
Regards,
Dan
Dan,

What accelerator were you using? I think I have an old GVP
A1230-40mhz Turbo with two GVP 4MB SIMMs installed.

At least the new 3COM cards are working fine, so I have a solution in
place as of right now. :)

Jon
Dan Miner

Jon